On February 11, 2017 the now 315 geographic area will gain a new area code 680. The new 680 area code will cover the same geographic area as the now 315. The numbering plan administrator was running out of numbers with the 315 prefix. Following are instructions on what has to be done to handle the new addition:
1) For most cell phone customers it simply means making sure all of the contacts in your address book have the area code before the 7 digit number. If not you will need to add that before February 11.
2) For home phone customers you will want to remember to dial 1+315 and then the number or 1+680 and the number for any numbers you wish to dial.
3) When speaking to others and gaining new contacts be sure to confirm whether it is the 315 or 680 area code. March 11th is when the numbering administration will begin handing out numbers with the 680 prefix.
4) One of the most important things we want our clients to know is if you have an alarm system at home. If you have an alarm system that dials a number when it is triggered you have to make sure it has the appropriate area code as well. Please contact the alarm system company if you need assistance.
5) Teach your children the phone number with the area code to reach you.
6) Lastly, if you still use dial up you may need to program your modem to dial the new prefix.
Things that won't change:
1) If you don't dial the full 10 digit number you will get a recording advising you to hang up and try your call again.
2) You can still call 911, 411, 211, 511 etc - no area code required, and your bill won't change.
As always, if you have questions or need more information, please feel free to contact us at Tanner Insurance Agency, Inc.