Tanner Insurance Agency, Inc. cares about you and your family. With a new teenage driver in the household, we would like you to consider some important facts so you can help your teenager become a safe driver.
Young drivers, in the age group 16-20, have one of the highest fatality rates of all drivers. In fact, motor vehicle related injuries are by far the leading public health problem among teenager today. In 2005 in the US 5,288 teenagers died from crash related injuries, and 61% of teenage passenger deaths occurred in crashes which another teen was driving.
Five Principal Reasons Contributing to Teen Driving Problems:
- Seat Belts
What’s A Parent To Do?
- Choose vehicles for safety, not image. Ensure the car has airbags and anti-lock brakes
- Provide new drivers with plenty of supervised driving practice, even after they have their license. Including night driving and hazardous road conditions
- Mandate safety belt usage
- Restrict number of passengers. Crash rates increase sharply when a teen has passengers especially other teens.
- Emphasize that safe driving requires your teen’s full attention. Distractions like text messaging will greatly increase their risk of motor vehicle related injury
- Discuss and reinforce responsible driving behavior with teenagers.
DOWNLOAD OUR FREE PARENT - TEEN DRIVING CONTRACT - CLICK HERE
Contact Tanner Insurance Group For More Information on Teenage Drivers.