Friday, October 25, 2013

Snowmobile Registration & Insurance

It’s almost that time of year again! Time for snowmobiling.  

Here is some helpful information from the NYS Office of Parks and Recreation and the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Display of Registration:

Registration numbers are permanently assigned to a snowmobile when it is registered for the first time.  These numbers stay with the machine from owner to owner until it is destroyed or permanently removed from the state.  DMV provided registration number decals must be displayed on both sides of the cowling of the sled at all times.  The cowling is defined as the forward portion of the sled surrounding the engine and clutch assembly.  Any display position behind the sled cowling (tunnel or seat area) or on the windshield is illegal and could result in an expensive citation for violation of the registration law.

Insurance Requirements:

All snowmobiles operated on any part of a roadway or shoulder of a highway in NYS must be covered by minimum liability insurance.  NYS Parks law requires snowmobilers to carry liability coverage in the minimum amount of $25,000 for an accident involving one person, 50,000 for an accident involving two or more persons, and $10,000 property damage from one accident.  These are bare minimum limits of insurance and are not recommended .   Proof of Insurance must be carried by the snowmobiler and must be displayed upon request of any magistrate, law enforcement officer, or anyone who has suffered personal injury or property damage as a result of the snowmobilers actions.

Trailers and Trailer Registration:

Trailers manufactured specifically for snowmobiles are usually the best choices.  Your tow vehicle should be big enough and have enough power to handle the trailer easily or you will put yourself and your snowmobiles in a very dangerous situation.  All trailers operated on NYS public highways must be registered, inspected and display a license plate with an annual validation tag.  The vehicle used to tow the trailer must be insured.  You must provide the DMV with all required items to receive a valid registration and license plate for your trailer.  Custom built trailers must meet all equipment requirements of section 375 of the vehicle and traffic law and must be assigned a VIN number by the DMV.  Contact your county’s weights and measures office for local weighing stations.

Snowmobile  insurance is generally fairly inexpensive and something we can do quickly.  Visit us on the web or give us a call at one of our three offices for a quote!

For more information about what is needed to register your sled visit :


Got something to say? Join the discussion »

Leave a Reply

 [Quick Submit with Ctrl+Enter]

Remember my details
Notify me of followup comments via e-mail