Tanner Insurance Agency and Erie Insurance are working together with schools and teens to spread the word about Shift and the dangers of distracted Driving. Shift is a driver safety movement for teens. We are committed to making our communities safer for everyone, and that includes helping young drivers understand the responsibility that comes with having a drivers license. That's what the Shift is all about: making choices that help to make you safer behind the wheel and getting your friends to do the same. The goal is simple: to save lives and encourage safe driving, especially among young drivers.
Seven Things You Need To Know About Safe Driving
1) Car crashes are the number one killer of teens in america. Not only that, but more teen drivers are involved in car crashes every year, and more are killed than any other age group.
2) The main reason teens die in car crashes is failure to use a seat belt. Hitting something at 30 miles per hour is about the same impact you would feel if you fell from a three story building. Think about that--and make sure you always wear a seat belt.
3) Nearly 80% of all car crashes involve driver distraction. Get this: The risk of a crash when using a cell phone is FOUR times higher than the risk of a crash when a cell phone is not being used.
5) Speeding & Tailgating: Um, don't do it. It probably won't surprise you that young drivers are more likely to take risks like speeding, tailgating, ignoring traffic signals, and stuff like that. Whether it is overconfidence, inexperience, or just trying to show off to friends, the risks are just as deadly.
6) Drinking & Driving turns friends into statistics: In 2010, 22% of drivers ages 15-20 who were killed in car crashes had been drinking some amount of alcohol. Don't let this happen to you or a close friend: Never drink & drive.
7) Your crash risk at night is nearly twice as high as during the day. Teens are far more likely to be in serious crashes at night. At night, you have less time to see and react. That's why it's good to slow down and be more cautious at night.
We want you to be safe. Even if you are not our current customer - we have a wealth of FREE information in the research center on our website at www.tiains.com. You can also learn more and get involved in #Join the Shift by visiting Jointheshift.org. While there you can also download safe driving resources like posters and flyers and Find activity ideas for promoting safe driving in your community. We want to spread the word about the dangers of distracted driving. (And we know you probably do too!) But we need your help..So Join the Shift today!